Monday, July 31, 2006

July 31st ... we didn't start well today. Wes had not returned my call from last Friday about the fence. So, at 10A I called him. I let him know that the pressure rig was on, and that I wanted to confirm when the inspection would be (today). I also spoke to him about the fence. The information he told me was different then Marty. Basically, even if the fence was wrong, we wouldn't fail inspection. Worst case, they would get a message sent to them to tell them to correct the problem. My next question, and the subsequent response, caused a downward spiral in relations. I asked, when would Marty be back to complete the plumbing. Remember, he was supposed to be here last Friday doing that. The response ... "probably not this week." ... ahh! When I expressed how unhappy I would be that my project, already 6+ weeks behind schedule, would just sit for an entire week, I got told that construction is a 12 week window, and that as long as he completed within that, he would meet his obligations ... ahhhhhhhh! This had me explain, yet again, my understanding. When I signed my contract, I was told that I would be swimming by August 1st. The primary reason for me choosing them, was the delivery date. I was assured, that swimming by August 1st would be doable. I signed the contract in March, this provided ample time for permitting, and construction. When I asked about how they controlled construction, I was told, that since they had their own crews, they had control of schedule. This was our deal; I would have them build me a pool, that I could be swimming in by August ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Wes went on to explain to me (read sarcasm), that they had other customers and that they no longer had their own crews, and that the subs had stuff to do. He reiterated that I was very important and that if I wanted to call him every day to "yell at him" (his words), I could. But that would not make any difference. I apologized if I had been yelling (wasn't), and explained that his company, who he was the representative for, sold me a $42k+ pool based on a series of promises, the most important one being delivery. Unfortunately, when a company lies to get a contract in place, and then seems to not care about resolving the problem, customer get unhappy. I told him, that if they could not find contractor to do the work, I would do so. I would complete the project on their behalf. To this he told me that we had a contract and that I couldn't do anything about that. I then explained what a good lawyer could do, and how, I as a consumer had no interest in being lied to. When I mentioned the "l" word, he quickly recovered and said there was no need for that. I then told him that Marty had said, he could come do the work the next day, as had KC (the guy who dug the pool), and that they could finish the pool if told to do so. Apparently the problem (as per sub), wasn't the subcontractor. Wes explained, that I had been misled by the subs. I suggested that I would contact Marty directly and contract with him to complete the pool based on his schedule. Since there is only 1 day of work by Marty left, I would pay him $500 to complete it tomorrow. Wes, quickly told me we had no need for that and that he would be talking to Marty today to get his schedule ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! There is much more, and much more heated stuff, including Wes, explaining that I should consider myself lucky, as they my pool is moving quickly. I also got explained that since my choices for placement of things was a delay, to which I pointed out that we had agreed on everything before I signed the contract ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I am expecting a call from Wes later today to confirm when someone will be out here. On a positive note ... the city inspector (Phil) came by, said everything looked good and signed off on the paper work. So, what's left ... complete plumbing (1 day), backfill pool dirt (.5 day), electrical (.5 day). All said, we could be "swimming", although not complete in 2 days. The remaining stuff beyond the above is the concrete deck, which I didn't want (was told it is code ... I'll check that with Phil). Oh yeah, not sure if you noticed the picture, I though it was fitting of today. The local wildlife has decided the pool is a good watering hole, and bathroom. If you can't make it out, the piles of stuff on the step, poo! (want a pg rating for my blog). Nice!

No comments: